Head of Press
Job Title: Head of Press
Reports To: Head of Marketing
Responsible For: Press Team
Rate of Pay: £40,000/annum (pro rata)
Dates of Work: June – August 2023
Closing Date: 10th April 2023
Hours: Full time, fixed contract (6 days a week work is required in August)
Based: June/July – Flexible, August – Edinburgh. Accommodation can be supplied to the right candidate.
This role will look after Underbelly’s Press Office at the Fringe. You will be the main contact between Underbelly and the media at the Fringe, working closely with the Marketing and Programming teams as well as Underbelly’s Directors.
You and the Press team will be the main press and media contact for all shows in our programme, whilst working alongside freelancers to facilitate our headliner campaigns. You will recruit and hire a team to work alongside.
In the lead-up to August this role can be remote, August will be full-time on ground at the Fringe.
- Planning and implementing Underbelly’s press strategy for the Fringe .
- Hiring the press team in the lead-up to the Fringe.
- During Fringe, managing the Underbelly Press Office including pitching to media, managing press photo calls and launches, ticket requests, clippings, review tracking and general artist management.
- Being the first point of contact for companies and press regarding Underbelly.
- Fielding any questions from the media about all aspects of Underbelly’s programme.
- Managing a Press Office team, ensuring they fulfil daily duties on time.
- Managing our press campaign to highlight the Underbelly brand at Fringe and key shows, getting the most coverage possible.
- Working with external PRs on all Underbelly shows, making sure requests are facilitated and press coverage is maximised.
- Working with the programming, marketing and ticketing teams in the planning and implementation of the campaign.
- Experience working in a busy festival or venue’s press office, ideally in a leadership position.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Organised and work well in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working with marketing, programming and ticketing teams.
- A team player.
- A love for the arts and excited about working at the Fringe.
- Experience managing a team of junior staff (desirable).
- UK-based press contacts (desirable).
- Free entry to shows at Underbelly venues (subject to availability).
- 25% discount at Underbelly bars.
- Staff social events.
Underbelly is committed to reducing its environmental impacts in its everyday operations. We are also committed to maintaining the open-access policy of Underbelly. We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome applications from all sectors of the community.
It is the policy of Underbelly to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements that cannot be shown to be justifiable.
We expect employees to support these commitments and to assist in their realisation.