Box Office and Ticketing Manager
Start date: as soon as possible
Underbelly is a UK based live entertainment company, its festivals and events division produces a number of events annually, including Underbelly at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Underbelly Festival on London’s Southbank, Udderbelly Festival Hong Kong, Edinburgh’s Christmas and Edinburgh’s Hogmanay on behalf of the City of Edinburgh Council, Christmas in Leicester Square, and West End Live in Trafalgar Square on behalf of the Society of London Theatre and Westminster City Council.
You will oversee all of Underbelly’s day-to-day box office operations as well as driving ticketing strategy and innovation via owned and partner channels to deliver sales targets, loyalty and positive ROI.
From a Box Office or Ticket Agency background, you’ll have excellent contacts within industry and knowledge and experience of developing and delivering successful ticketing strategy.
The main duties of this role include:
Sales and business strategy
- Working with box office partners, technical and digital agencies to develop technologies in new and innovative ways to deliver ticket sales.
- Maintain regular sales sheets for use within the organisation, as well as providing and scheduling ad hoc reports for other departments as required.
- Attend regular marketing meetings and provide feedback, analysis, and ideas for setting and meeting sales targets.
- Liaise with external producers and marketing agencies to maximise sales for specific shows
- Manage and produce specific customer lists for email communications.
- Identify third party ticket sellers that can meaningfully increase sales and work to establish, maintain and develop relationships with those organisations to maximise Underbelly events/productions share of voice.
- Keep up to date with industry developments and best practices and work to incorporate these into Underbelly’s operations.
- Working collaboratively with box office and technology partners
- Check all third-party agency sales have been properly accounted for and liaise with Accounts to ensure ticket sales are invoiced and paid in a timely manner.
- Prepare final settlement figures
- Liaise with Accounts to ensure all outstanding payments received promptly and in accordance with our sales records.
- Oversee end-of-night banking at Underbelly’s festivals, including the investigation of discrepancies and where necessary the preparation of deposits.
- Arrange for manual refunds via our payment processors or cheque payment where automatic refunds are not possible through the ticketing system.
- Provide sales and other reports for the rest of the organisation or external agencies as required.
- Checking third party agency sales and preparing reports for settlement or other purposes.
- Reporting on customer service KPI’s and trends.
Operational planning and set-up.
- Liaise with Directors and Heads of Production and Operations to establish requirements for all physical box offices at each of Underbelly’s festivals.
- Ensure box office equipment is adequately sourced, maintained, and distributed across all of Underbelly’s events as necessary, and oversee installation and upkeep by Box Office Managers.
- Recruit and manage temporary festival Box Office Managers and Supervisors with the recruitment and management of casual staff as necessary.
- Set up all ticketed venues, events, and performances on the ticketing system(s), delegating to Box Office Managers as necessary.
- Ensure physical tickets for all events are properly sourced, designed, and stocked, and Operations to ensure all information printed on tickets is correct.
- Identify potential improvements in current operational setup (including potential new systems) and work to source and implement these.
Setup and technical support
- Installation and first-line troubleshooting of all box office equipment, including PCs, ticket printers, card machines, phones, and networking.
- Oversee decommissioning and inventory of all box office equipment at the end of each festival.
- Creating new venues, events, and performances on the ticketing system as necessary, and making any amends necessary to existing shows.
- Overseeing the processing of comp tickets and special ticket offers by Box Office Supervisors, and where necessary assisting in these duties directly.
- Liaising with marketing and external website company to ensure tickets go on sale online at specified times and dates, and identifying and resolving any issues that arise.
IT and systems maintenance
- Where site Box Office Managers/Supervisors are unavailable or unable to solve a technical problem, provide technical support for all open box offices, escalating to IT or ticketing providers as necessary.
- Supporting festival managers in recruiting all temporary and casual box office staff.
- Creating and overseeing rotas/staffing budgets for all festivals.
- Overseeing payroll for all box office staff.
- Staff training and management.
- Maintain high standards of Box Office customer service delivery at all times & contribute to the ongoing auditing of the ‘audience experience’
- Recruit and manage a customer service/phone sales team as necessary.
- Ensure all box office staff are briefed on their regulatory responsibilities, particularly with regard to sensitive customer data.
- Ensure our PCI compliance is up to date and
- Ensure all box office staff are aware of (and adhere to) any relevant Health and Safety regulations or policies.
HEALTH & SAFETY
- Completion of Box Office staff Risk Assessments
- Contribute to a positive H&S culture throughout all activities & duties.
- Ensure all duties are conducted in accordance with H&S policies & systems of working, reporting any breaches to senior team.
Skills, experience and person specification
- Background in ticketing either box office or ticket agency
- Knowledge and understanding of the UK ticket agency industry and landscape
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- You’ll need to have excellent customer service skills as you will have to resolve any issues with difficult or unhappy customers.
- Extremely numerate and analytical
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel
- Some experience of updating CMS-based websites
- Experience of use of Red61 ticketing system would be an advantage
- Technical project management experience would be an advantage
- Experience in a box office environment would be an advantage
- Enthusiastic about the ticketing industry and the ongoing development of new and better ways to sell tickets
Once government guidelines allow, your main place of work will be in our head office in London. However, travel to festival sites may be required.
Circa £30,000 depending on experience.
Please apply online https://form.jotform.com/Underbelly/ticketing-and-box-office-manager