Job title: Senior Operations Manager
Dates of Work: Fixed Contract Spring 2021 to April 2022
Reports to: Underbelly Directors
Underbelly is a UK based live entertainment company, its festivals and events division produces a number of events annually, including Underbelly at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Underbelly Festival on London’s Southbank, Udderbelly Festival Hong Kong, Edinburgh’s Christmas and Edinburgh’s Hogmanay on behalf of the City of Edinburgh Council, Christmas in Leicester Square, and West End Live in Trafalgar Square on behalf of the Society of London Theatre and Westminster City Council.
We are seeking an experienced Operations individual for a fixed term to oversee operational activities across all of Underbelly’s festivals in England as well head office activities.
You’ll be focused on achieving high standards across all elements of this role, including commercial operations, operational planning, human resources and effectiveness, customer satisfaction, health and safety, facilities and security management and compliance. You will demonstrate first class people leadership skills, commercial acumen, organisational abilities and entrepreneurial spirit.
The main duties of this role include:
- Oversee all HR operations. Including staff recruitment, contracting, induction and training.
- Ensure operational planning is integrated into all departments within Underbelly.
- Manage, support and motivate Operations, Customer Service, Front of House and Box Office teams; and oversee customer services and experience.
- Agree and manage commercial contracts with 3rd party concessions and contractors.
- Work closely with the finance department, ticketing, programming team and event producers to ensure revenue streams are tracked and maximised; and support the programming department with the settlement process with artists
- Project manage planning applications and licence applications for our events and festivals and engage with local authorities regarding to licensing, environmental health and public safety.
- Write and develop management plans for event sites and compliance; including developing, planning and evaluating policies to deliver venue security, health and safety, fire safety and other H&S related management procedures.
- Manage insurance policies and any potential claims.
- Ensure investigations of all incidents take place and are documented for future reference.
- Ensure investigations of all employee relation cases take place in line with the law and ACAS guidance and are documented for future reference.
- Support managers with any employment relations cases.
- Manage IT contracts at event locations and offices, including connectivity and networking.
- Oversee the continued development of Underbelly’s Sustainability Policy, promoting the introduction of sustainable technologies in all projects and activities to reduce our environmental
- Oversee and develop Underbelly’s access policy, promoting making positive changes to all our events to maximise access.
Lines of report:
- Operations Assistants (as needed)
- Customer Service Manager
- Festival Operational and Administrative staff
- Front of House Manager
- Reception Teams
- Ticketing and Box Office Managers
Key internal contacts:
- Bar and Catering Teams
- Event Producers
- Finance Team
- Production Team
- Programming Team
- Site & Venue Managers
- Sponsorship and Marketing Teams
Key external contacts:
- Contractors and Suppliers
- Caterers & Traders
- Local Councils
- Police & other agencies
- Legal and licensing advisers to Underbelly
- Proven people skills and previous experience of working at a senior level within a cultural or entertainment focused business, with a track-record of managing and motivating large teams.
- Significant commercial experience, acumen and drive and an ability to negotiate confidently with suppliers and other commercial partners in order to deliver growth and income generating targets.
- Proven ability to successfully manage multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities; with a flexible approach and excellent problem-solving skills.
- A knowledge of licensing legislation, building control regulations, Health & Safety legislation and facilities management is desirable; with practical experience of devising, implementing and reviewing risk assessments and method statements.
- A knowledge of ticketing is desirable.
Once government guidelines allow, your main place of work will be in our head office in London. However, travel to festival sites may be required.
Dependent on experience C. £35,000 – £42,000 pro rata.
Please fill in the application form here https://form.jotform.com/Underbelly/senior-operations-manager